Invitation

If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

-Shel Silverstein

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Christmas Vacation - The Last Leg / The Last Straw

December 24:
We woke up early that morning and caught the shuttle to the air port in the gently falling snow. Love of My Life was nervous and so was my stomach. Once in the airport Love Of My Life watched the weather and the flight information boards while I searched for Dramamine and Rolaids.
At the gate I sat munching Rolaids and reading while Love Of My Life paced by the wall of widows watching the snow fall. I could tell he was making observations and calculations about if we were going to board the plane at all. Not that the air line wouldn't fly... but we might not. Two hours rolled by and it was now 9:30 and we were still waiting on our plane to arrive from DC. I was nervous we'd spend another day in the airport... Love Of My Life was nervous the plane would take off in unsafe conditions.
We were both relieved when our plane arrived, the snow let up and the airport crew did a great job plowing the run way. Another hour later we finally boarded yet another tiny plane. The ride was bumpy but not as bad as the day before. Whether it was the Dramamine or calmer skies I couldn't tell you. I was just happy to still be in possession of my breakfast by the time we landed in Metropolis around lunch time.

Tired, hungry and happy to be home I embarked on a wonderful Christmas vacation with my mom, her two sisters, my brother and his family and in-laws and many more. It was a great Christmas. Everything was what it promised to be and I could not have been more at peace and content until the night before our flight home.

We'd packed up our presents and laid out our clothes to get up early and head to the airport. Finally in bed at 10:00 I realized I'd forgotten to go on-line and check in to print our boarding passes. I slipped out of bed and went to take care of this last detail so I could sleep. I logged onto the computer in the quite of the house and entered all the necessary information to pull up my flight itinerary.
Something had to be wrong. The bright screen said it could not find any reservations for me or my husband. Frustrated and logged off and logged in again three times knowing for sure there must be something wrong with my mother's internet connection. I search our original flight number that left Po-Dunk and pulled up our itinerary.
My heart began to pound and my mouth went dry as I realized we were no longer booked on any flight leaving Metropolis going back to Po-Dunk. We were no longer booked anywhere.... according to the airline website we'd completed our trip. Near tears and full of anger I scribbled down the 800 number and marched back to my room, phone in hand. I explained to Love Of My Life that when they re-booked us in Milwaukee they must have cancelled our return trip and gave him the phone.
I didn't even have the stomach to sit and listen to the argument that ensued so I left to fix myself some hot tea. Several minutes later I hear him march to the office and log onto the computer. "No, you'll stay on the phone with me until I've printed the boarding passes." was all I heard. Well at least we were going somewhere. It was one of those evenings I wished I could hang up adult hood and move back in with my mother.
Much to my relief Love Of My Life worked everything out and we were scheduled for our original trip out the next morning. And... fortunately for me, unfortunately for you.... there is nothing more to tell. The flight home was pretty smooth with no delays. Work began again and life moves on... but we'll never fly MidWest Airlines again.

No comments: